Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Entry Doors and Windows

At last I get to do some Glory work, the kind that changes the appearance and gives the illusion of significant progress. Funny how you can chip away at some little thing for hours or days and change nothing visually and then... The doors came from Rebuild Warehouse and the windows either came from there or someplace like it. There seem to be more of these recyclers popping up.
Habitat for Humanity is one nationwide example.

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Bathroom Floor

We raided some dumpsters at counter top shops in the area and found a wealth of raw material. Most of the pieces we got are around 1.25" thick and come in all colors. I found a Target tile saw on Craigslist. The design grew spontaneously.

Thursday, September 23, 2010


We got some nice pine tongue and groove at the Rebuild Warehouse and put it up in the middle space as a ceiling.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Front gets Plastered

I made a mix of red and white clays from a dig near here. I figured if Kappy didn't like the color it could be another brown coat, can't have too many of those

Monday, September 13, 2010

Lime Plaster with Georgie Donais

With the skilled assistance of Ms.Donais an appreciable amount of wall area was covered with lime plaster. We even attempted a fresco of sorts which was to be a throw away but the owner, Kappy Laning, liked it so it stays. We used Red Top gauging plaster with a type S lime and mason's sand. I wanted to experiment with the gypsum to see how it handled. I bought some retarder just in case. At times it set up in fifteen minutes so we kept the batches small. There was very little cracking, just in areas where the plaster was put on thick or without pressure. The coats were thin, less than a quarter inch. We used prickly pear juice also. I'm not sure exactly how much it does but I like the idea and it doesn't seem to hurt. We put in a small amount of sticky rice soup since it seems to be the rage as well. No pozzolans this time.