Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Down to Solid Ground

We finally got the foundation done, since we weren't sure how it was going to happen the best path seemed to be patience. We wanted something simple and not too resource intensive. Rob Roy gave us some more creosoted 10x12s from the old Matapeake Ferry docks. The next step was to somehow have the rubble trench rise up to the beams. We got the house in the best configuration on blocks, the floor was never going to be level since it was built on a slanted surface so plumbing doors and window was the way to go. The house was still way up on blocks but at least we had a reference to measure down from all the way around. Then the beams were hoisted up and tied in place over their ultimate resting places as a combination of fast setting concrete and filler such as old bricks and pieces of broken concrete were placed in rough forms. The beams were then lowered and jiggled into place in the wet cement. After a day and a half of setting time the mix was hard enough. All went well, down jacking the house proved to be tricky, especially since two of the high lift jacks were acting up.They were the new ones, the old ones were perfect. Guess they don't make 'em like they used to. We had to use all of our tricks to get the house close enough to call it good. Then came disassembly of the support structures and threaded rods, installation of doors and window and voila. I am going home for a month or so and will take up the project upon my return so stay tuned!

No comments: